am SO excited about the October Aurifil designer interview with the amazing Sheri Cifaldi-Morrill of Whole Circle Studio!
This years theme is blocks inspired by places.
Sheri Cifaldi-Morrill has a wonderful story about her block and again, it's NYC that inspires her, But not the whole city, just one special place that captured her heart.
This is a paper pieced block, but it's not hard. It is also not symmetrical. Below are some of my tips!
- I trim down the black seam allowance so it's behind the stripe.
- That way I don't see the black fabric peeking out of the seam and creating a 'shadow' affect
- When I paper piece, I use Wonderclips instead of pins. Pins distort the paper & fabric, clipping it keeps it in place.
- Put the side with the 'clear side' of the clip on the bottom, it's flat and the top side is curved.
- Sheri's pattern diagrams are the BACK, paper side. My brain works better seeing the front side so I lay it out on my design board
- These pieces have not been trimmed yet
- I pin them in place right into the foam board
Article continues below this Ad
- Trim ON the OUTER line, NOT the final size line.
- Be on your 'A' game when trimming or the block will be too small, not a good thing
- Clip pieces together
- Flip up the top section to check placement of the stripes
A short video on how I auditioned the floral
I love how they are coming together. I also put all the designer blocks up to see how they look and came up with the setting, so excited about that!! Maybe by next month I'll have the setting ready, no promises but... I am hopeful.
Where can you find such unique blocks as our Aurifil project, not many places!
The Goodies I use
- Black and White Fabrics .. which I need to collect!
- The black & white stripe
- Aqua prints
- 50wt Aurifil thread, there are some great SALE packets!
Each month the Interview, download & Challenge Block entry are done at the Aurifil Website.
NEW HERE? Enter your email for my fun free weekly tips & finds!