I'm sewing along with all of you on our Splendid Sampler blocks, and will be post about it as I go! I have tab on my top navigation bar to a table of all my Splendid Sampler 1 and Splendid Sampler 2 blocks. If I write about them there is a link.
Today our block is from the amazing Lori Kennedy! Link to the block is after my tips.
She will also be on my podcast July 23, 2018 I am so excited to chat with her!
I lay out the fabrics until I like a combo, then I cut!
I adore applique and have done applique for years. I prefer to do fusible by machine.
If that is new to you, or you want to up your game, get my book with all my tips!
I decided I wanted a 'chunky' stem on my flower so I drew a 1" rectangle on my fusible.
I am also doing the 'donut' method I describe in my book. That allows me to see if I can fussy cut that flower into the circle, and yes.. I can!
Because my leaves are cream color, I need to block the background fabric so it does not show through.
This is called Shadowing when it does. It would actually change the color of my leaves if you could see that red.
So I first create 2 leaves with a solid white. I did the same for the circle as that navy is pretty dark.
I'm also using my favorite scissors, the Havel 8" shears.... and my favorite Iron the Oliso (get 20% off + free shipping by using my PatSloan20 code HERE)
I cut the solid white leaves just a tiny bit smaller than the top leaf.
Since my stem is wider than Lori's, I overlapped the leaves onto the stem.
TIP - be sure you leave a 1/4" at the bottom for the seam.
All mine together!
I'm thinking of using the 100 block setting from Splendid Sampler 1 for these and start setting them soon. I really love that 100 blocks setting in book 1 as it let's you play with the color you use, so I'm thinking red and cream, Surprised?
Article continues below this Ad
What I'm Using
- Download this block & Join Our Splendid Sampler project!
- Preorder your Splendid Sampler 2 book..
- Buy the Splendid Sampler 1 on sale HERE for 34% off right now!, get with the Digital version HERE
- ON SALE - My Learn to Applique by Machine
- French General and Laundry Basket Fabrics
- My Favorite Scissors if out go HERE
- Best Olfa cutter ON SALE.. woohoo!
- The Oliso iron at 20% off + free shipping. CLICK HERE and use code PATSLOAN20
- My Aurifil Thread
- I use Heat n Bond lite as my fusible, it's super consistent for the way I do fusible applique
Article continues below these Amazon Goodies