In 2010 I created the first original Block of the month for Aurifil and it was so much fun we've done it ever year since! 2018 is the start of my 8th year running this super fun program. Learn more about how it works at our intro of the 2018 team
We get to paper piece this month with the very talented Jo Avery! I am immensely jealous of Jo's travels that inspired her block, and you'll love meeting her! Remember that each month Aurifil picks a Thread Kit winner from the blocks posted.
At the end is a wee change to how to Enter your block in the challenge.
And Now for a few tips & all 3 of my blocks at the bottom!
I don't do a ton of paper piecing, so each time I need to concentrate a bit to get in the groove again.
One of the things we all end up doing sometimes is coming short on covering the area when we sew and flip the new piece. Working upside down and backwards is how I think of paper piecing. What I've found that helps are
- I cut a generous piece of fabric. I've stopped trying to be super frugal since honestly.. i have a lot of fabric and I'd rather not be frustrated.
- the other is this little trick. Working on the fabric side, I create a crease on the bottom piece what is the 'sewing line' on the paper. I just fold it and make that crease
- Place the next fabric you will sew, right sided together with the one you creased
- Be sure you extended past that fold line.
- Turn over to the paper side
- Pin on the line
- Hold up to the light to be sure you didn't shift
- Sew on the line!
Jo's block is awesome to try for your first Paper Piecing, Just follow her numbers for the sewing order!
Article continues below this Ad
I really love these blocks together! I'm seriously considering making a quilt of those dresdens with the swan in the middle.. would you change the colors for each one? Maybe a wall hanging of 9 blocks.. mmmmm
If you are interested in taking a Paper Piecing class online, I recommend this one
The Goodies I used
- Black and White Fabrics .. which I need to collect!
- Small dot for the backgrounds
- The black & white stripe from block #1
- The swan for block #1
- Aqua prints
- 50wt Aurifil thread, there are some great SALE packets!
Each month the Interview, download & Challenge Block entry are done at the Aurifil Website.
NEW HERE? Enter your email for my fun free weekly tips & finds!