Article continues below these Amazon Goodies
Today is the day for Block #1.. I am SO excited about our Let's Go Camping theme for my 5th year of designing, writing and hosting a Free Mystery Block of the Month (BOM) for FreeQuiltPatterns.info. If you are new to my sew alongs, read at the end to learn how this one works.
When you go camping, it seems that where we will go starts the whole adventure, so 'Place we Camp' also starts our block of the month (BOM) journey for 2018! We all have great stories & memories .. and maybe a few disasters of a place we camped at (hello girl scouts in the pouring rain in the middle of the forest!) . My hope is that each month when you make your block you look at camping in a new light. Some of you are more 'glampers' and not 'a pup tent on the side of a mountain type people'.. My Camping topic each month is broad enough for all the types of camping to fit in. From pup tents to cottages at the beach, we all like to camp in different ways!
For Block #1 I'm repeating a lot of the info below so if you are just jumping in you can get the same fabrics I'm using.
The quilt layout this year is 'on point' which means all the fun directional fabrics need to be thought about so that you have them facing the way you want them to. Below is how I handle cutting directional fabric for blocks to keep the design the going the way I want it to go.
The last page of your pattern shows the layout without much details, and where this block will be placed. FULL setting directions will be published in a few months.
This fun fabric has images going 2 ways, so it is directional.
What I do
- If you feel you need your fabric stiffer, you can starch it PRIOR to cutting. For these large units I don't.
- Use a Large square as I'm cutting a 7" block. I also like a large square for many other purposes so if you don't have a 12.5" square yet, today is the day to order it! BUY HERE, or HERE or HERE
- So I can keep visual track, I'm using my buddy Gudrun's arrow stickers, which are brilliant! You can get HERE
- Place the ruler on your fabric & Line up that vertical of the center of the 7" x 7" like you see above so you see how your fabric looks 'on point' which means turned at a 45 degree angle
- I will cut the first 2 sides following the GREEN arrow above
- After the first 2 sides are cut, rotate the fabric
- Place the 7" marker of the ruler on the outer corner, so that the block sits in the 7 x 7 mark.
- Cut the last 2 sides.
For our block the square is cut in half on the diagonal.
- DOUBLE CHECK which diagonal you want to use before cutting...
- Did you check?
- Ok.. cut the square in half.
I place all the units next to my machine to verify placement.
Then sew up your block!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Schedule - One block or the setting a month from January to October. 9 blocks total + the Setting. The block is released around the 1st of the month depending on weekends, schedules, holidays .. etc.
- PATTERN DOWNLOADS - Are always at >>> FreeQuiltPatterns.info
- Block Size - Pieced 12" finished blocks, 12.5" before you put into a top.
- BLOCK Setting DIRECTION - they are ON POINT, see last page for rough layout
- Quilt Size - 64" x 64"
- ENTER YOUR EMAIL to receive an email of new blocks
- HASHTAG #LetsGoCampingBOM
- MONTHLY Giveaway! - Share your block BELOW each month, I'll giveaway a fun prize to a random number winner, so you'll want to keep up with making and sharing your block each month!
- Other Info -
- The block does not LOOK like the theme, it's just a way to have fun and create a great memory each month. I've done Globetrotting, Vacation time, and My Secret Garden, and the Children's library. All can be seen by clicking the 'Mystery Tab' on the top nav bar
- I will announce new blocks here at my website, at my FaceBook group, FaceBook page, Instagram and FreeQuiltPatterns will have on their FB page.
Article continues below this Ad
Download The Pattern & supply list
- CLICK on over to my article to download the pattern & meet 2 quilt shops!
- 12.5" square ruler BUY HERE, or HERE or HERE
- arrow stickers, which are brilliant! You can get HERE
- CLICK On over to the supply list page
Order the Fabrics I am Using
- The basics on one page, order the ones you want using my supply list
- MORE FABRIC IS ON ORDER
- Novelty camping/woodsy prints
Can I still get the last 4 Mysteries?
You sure can! We have a landing page for each Mystery
Tell me again where the pattern is....
Share a photo of your block below by Feb 1, 2018
I will select ONE random person to win a mystery prize each month!
** RANDOM NUMBER **
She has been emailed
I am so excited to see all your