When we started the The Splendid Sampler™ project and invited all the guest designers to create a block for it, we only asked them to think about something sewing related. And as you've seen, that has taken on so many interesting meanings from designer to designer.
Latifah Saafir's block is called 'Flow' and when she sent me the sketch I knew immediately what it was.
It's a stylized logo for a Cessna Airplane.
Her story about acheiving the act of flying solo very fast, at a very young age, is inspiring. And she talks about how that 'flow' takes over us when we sew.
Personally I got very excited to look at this in the very literal sense of aviation and learning to fly. My family has so much love of aviation ...
- As a kid my first flight was on a small puddle jumper, second flight was to Europe to live.
- In Europe we went to many airshows, they were so fun!
- Planes are how I stay connected to my family across all the miles
- My last corporate job in computers was for an aviation based firm
- Gregg and I love planes and air shows and air races.
- When Gregg said he wanted to learn to fly, I got to watch first hand the skill and determination it takes to learn to be a pilot. He said he always wanted to learn, and he has his private pilot license.
- And when he said he wanted to build his own plane, he started that too
- My mom's husband has been a private pilot since he could get a license, he has his own plane, built and flown many planes for fun. They even had an apartment in their hanger for awhile.
- My dad's wife soloed in flight school when she was a young woman, she has some interesting tales to tell.
- She also has worked for Airbus for many many years.
So you can see, my family love aviation! (you can find the block stand)
If you are unfamiliar with my The Splendid Sampler™ project I'm running with Jane, you can learn about it at our FAQ page.
There were quilts made just for the book with blocks by the designers + more. Those had to be done for the book deadline. Then Jane and I both decided to make our own personal blocks. We are making them as we can, just like over 40,000 quilters across the world are doing.
Which means like many of you, we are not doing the block as soon as it come out. Instead we do a block here, a block there. Some take longer, some are quick.
This is a journey, not a race.
And we'll be making blocks with quilters for years to come. This is just the beginning.
I'm not setting my blocks until I have them all done. I'm doing the published ones, and the bonus ones.
My count today is 50 finished and 3 in progress.
You can see them at my Personal Splendid Sampler page
The blocks are free until the last one is published in Feb 2017. Just a few more weeks.
Then our beautiful book will be out in April, we are THRILLED with it!
and get the adorable Block Holder
Tell me.. do you have a link to Aviation?
article continues below ad