It's Button Lover's day, and this day is brought to you by the color 'Scarlet' and the Fat Quarter Shop!.. which is perfect for December!
I have a FREE tutorial for you to use ... let's go!
As soon as I knew the buttons were Scarlet I got thinking about the Dresden Pie Ruler that came in my Sew Sampler box a few months ago. I wanted to make a big single dresden with red & white and have it 'float'.
TaDa!! I LOVE it, so excited to share with you!!!!!
This dresden ruler is so fun to work with. If you don't have it, you can purchase it now as it's the Notion of the Month! I can see making one of these for every season with the right colors, seasonal fabrics and a little saying in the middle.. fun fun! Should I do more??
Cut 8 white and 8 red blades with the ruler.
I have the supply list, directions and embroidery download at the end.
In the first half of Kimberly's video she shows you exactly how to sew the pie shapes so they lay nice and flat.
The KEY is pressing open those seams!
Once the pepperment is sewn use your 80wt aurifil thread to applique the it to the background square
- Then applique the red circle to the white circle
- Transfer the embroidery design and stitch with 12 wt Aurifil
- Applique the full circle to the middle of your peppermint!
I had to have some fun!!!!
Now to add buttons... red.. red.. everything red!
Then I sorted out 8 groups of 3, with 3 sizes in each.
I used 12wt Aurifil to sew all the buttons
For the quilting I did a candy ribbon in the red spokes, and meandered openly for all the rest! If you didn't get my machine quilting book yet, you might want to pop that into your basket!
I can't WAIT to see your Happy Holly Days!
Project Supply List:
- 2/3 yd White Fabric
- 1/2 Red Fabric
- 8" circle tonal Red
- Dresden Pie ruler
- Embroidery Thread & Applique Thread
- Cut a background square 19.5
- Cut 8 full size white pie shapes
- Cut 8 full red pie shapes
- Cut 1 white large circle
- Cut 1 red medium circle
- Follow the video for sewing the pies shapes into a peppermint
- Applique the Peppermint to the background
- Applique the Red circle to the white
- Transfer the embroidery to the circles
- Applique the circles to the center
- Add buttons
Find all the Goodies!
- Pie ruler is the Dec Notion of the month, so it's on sale right now!
- My Hometown Girl Fabric
- Grunge White & Red
- Aurifil 80 wt
- Aurifil 12 wt
- All the past buttons that are available & Sign up for the Button Lover's Club!
- Royal Albert Honey Bunny Bowl