It's a SPLENDID Day! First let's look at block 24....
This is from my long time friend Michele Foster of Quilting Gallery! I just love her story and I need dig up some photos of my inspectors to share when I make my block.
Today is 'Block Analysis Day'. I want to look at color and talk about what that DOES for us.
- Look at how the original Large block and the bottom left block make a '+' with the color placement.
- Now look at the bottom center.. this block floats ...
- Then the bottom right and the red block have strong corner colors.. as does the larger one.
- Lastly the top right uses those navy 'corners' to create another whole design element
And all of these are the SAME block. So color placement is a really important part of what your final block will look like. Do you want a strong '+'? Or do you want that center to float? is the strong corner going to show off a piece of your fabric best? All of these a questions you can ask yourself when placing the colors and the contrast they create.
Today is the day before the Kentucky Derby, so it is 'Derby Day'!
Our bonus block is my hat, download at the end.... and we have a fun challenge AND giveaway for Derby day... links at the end!
And my other color talk is about MY blocks.. This is the point in my process where I start to really think about color balance.
There are still a lot of blocks to do, and there are bonus blocks.. but I want to pay attention now so I keep what I have going. My Block Color Analysis -
- My quilt has a very light feel, which I want to maintain.
- That means heavy on the light aqua, cream, white, light gray
- And not as much red in each block. The red should be used sparingly on most of the blocks..or not all in some blocks
- I already have a few blocks that are heavy red, so i will sprinkle those around the quilt when layout time comes.. or I may start setting it early, have not decided yet!
My other thing at this point is to fit in blocks I've not done yet. And to journal my blocks story...oh... and I want to get the embroidery blocks ready to travel so I can do them on my next trip.
So that is my PLAN and those are my goals. I am a planner so this feels good to me!
here are the links to all the fun!
Contest Entry is at The Splendid Sampler Page, block is also in the Block library
AND Please sign up for my Articles & Quilt Tips, always a fun time!
Get the Goods
article continues below ad