Here is MY second block for The Splendid Sampler™, The Checkerboard, block 12/100
I have been sewing with 2.5" squares for finished quilts of 2" squares. They are so fun! For my 2nd block i decided to give it a go with 1" squares. And for my block I'm using a white with red tiny print from my newest Moda Line, Hometown Girl. And the red, is from my FIRST Moda line, Eat Your Fruits and Veggies.
Plus I made a pillow! 14 squares by 14 squares.. so fun to do! All scrappy fabrics from my stash.
Here are some tips for tiny squares that I'm finding useful.
- I have decided that starch is my friend. Tiny squares can stretch and when I make them a bit firmer I have way more control.
- I am starching a section of fabric, then letting it air dry
- Once it's air dry, I press it flat
- Then I cut strips for the Checkerboard
- Sew 2 strips together, following the directions
- The strips are then subcut.
- Notice that I place the ruler so it is about 1/2" DOWN from the top edge. I feel this give me a lot more control when cutting small pieces by placing the whole piece under the ruler. .
Now let's sew!
- Alternate seams, it's easy when you have a dark and light side. I press to the dark side.
- Now snug the two units together so that the seams are perfectly lined up.
- Finally when I start to sew the seam, if possible, I keep the top seam facing away from me, like the photo on the bottom right. That way as I sew the feeddogs snug that even closer to the bottom unit.
Here is what I find KEY to great tiny patchwork
- Measure your sub-units.
- If they are off, like this one, Figure out why.
- Don't just trim it.. that won't fix it.
- Your seam allowance is off, take the seam out and sew it again.
Snacks & a Design board work wonders for going back and forth from my machine to the iron.
Which by the way is cordless and I'm in LOVE... woohoo!
PS.. this counts as exercise, wear your pedometer..
And my heart block 12/100 is this one!
Visit our Splendid Sampler™ Website to DOWNLOAD the pattern and to share your finished block!
I'd love to know, what has been your FAVORITE part of the Splendid Sampler so far? Leave me a comment please!
My Featured Items are
- My Triangle Book is at your favorite quilt shop, My Pat's Pick page andAmazon (which has digital)
- My Aurifil Thread
- Aurifil Cone in a yummy neutral for piecing
- My Fabric
- Design boards, easy to buy made up!
- Square ruler, a MUST for this
- The ruler I use to trim HST
- Time to upgrade your cutting mat.. some great options HERE, here is PINK one! the rotating ones are awesome!
- and the Best Iron ever! Plus CHECK the Daily Flash Sale!
article continues below ad