The 4th block in our year long journey of Farmer's Market quilt making is the yummy, and delicious Giant Strawberry!
When you go to the market, the fresh strawberries are so fragrant. AND gorgeous to look at! I think they may be one of my favorite fruits (next to a pineapple, which i don't REALLY see in my Farmer's markets!)
All through my book I give you tip and trick that I do to make my fusible applique easy and fun.
Here is one of my tips-
When cutting out the center, I cut thru the line to get to the center. This makes it easier to cut out, plus I am not folding the paper and adhesive - which could make them separate.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
I have a little bonus project for you, this adorable strawberry mug rug!
- Cut a light square 6.5" x 6.5"
- Cut a square from the strawberry fabric 6.5" x 6.5"
- Cut a backing 7" x 13"
- Fuse the strawberry (found IN my book) on the light square
- Sew both squares to each other
- Layer the top of the mug rug, the batting and the backing
- I decided to machine blanket stitch the strawberry through ALL the layers, which also quilts it.
- Do a bit of quilting on the red polka dot side
- Bind and use!
This is what the BACK looks like where i blanket stitched through all the layers
This is a fun way to do projects where the back is not an important thing to look at. and having the shapes outline quilted makes it faster!
Time for a coffee or tea!
ps... these make GREAT gifts...
article continues below ad
The winner of my Fat Quarter BUNDLE and Aurifil thread from last month's challenge is Kathy B.! She is making TWO quilts, you can see her double block photo below!
Now it's time for you to make your strawberry block and share it.
BEFORE you share your block.. would you do something for me? I'd love if you would review my book at Amazon.. here
Time to share your block!
click the blue 'add your link' down below after the last photo.
- Get out my book, You will need the book as that is where the pattern is.. I'll sign your copy from HERE
- if you prefer a Digital book, GO HERE AND my book is found at your favorite quilt shops!! Many are ALSO sewing along, so check out your shop and ask for my book
- The 2nd Wed of each month is the next block and encouragement post.
- Use the hashtag #PatSloanFarmersMarket on your photos you share!
If you have never done fusible applique, my book shows you everything. Here is a peek at part of the process. It is VERY EASY, so you can do this! You can do hand applique and I have this VISION of someone doing the quilt as redwork.. anyone planning that?
- Join me in my super active online Classroom we'll be sharing!
sign up for my CLUB newsletter