My Favorite day of the month is Aurifil Designer Challenge day! Our theme this year is the rainbow of colors found in the color wheel. Each designer is assigned a color going around the wheel and first up is the amazing Janet Clare.
I'm lucky enough to call Janet and her husband Tony friends. We have been Moda designers together and always have a chance to catch up twice a year at the trade shows. I also personally love Janet's style and her fabrics (i do hoard them... you should too!)
Go ahead and read my interview with Janet, then come right back.. DOWNLOAD the pattern at the end of the interview..
Read on to see my tutorial on using light on dark fabric >>>
I am creating a light color cat on a very dark burgundy background. I don't want the burgundy to make the light fabric look darker. And if it had images, I would not want to those to show through, which is called Shadowing.
To prevent a shadow, I create 2 cat images.
One from white or muslin, the other the fabric I will use.
- Fold the background square to find the 'middle', i finger press a placement crease.
- Fuse the white cat
- Now place the main cat on top
- Fuse that and you are ready to stitch!
Janet created the features with Aurifil Floss, so I need to find that 'purr-fect' shade!
My Aurifil thread box makes that pretty easy.. i know.. it's a bit of a luxury but I called it a 'business expense'.. wink!
article continues below ad
This year I'm using French General fabric, starting with Pondicherry, and I'm sure I'll add in a few pieces from my collection, I'm thinking a bit of soft yellow.
For the 2016 blocks I'll be doing a setting sometime in very late January when the quilt is back. You can use one of the two 12" block settings already at our Aurifil DOM Pattern page
Each Challenge Block & Interview are done at the Aurifil Website.
NEW HERE? Enter your email for my fun free weekly tips & fins!
Enter your block BELOW by Feb 15, 2016 to be in the running to win a BOX of Aurifil
Buy the Good stuff at---
- This year I'm using French General for my Quilt, Pondicherry and other lines all work together!
- Janet's Fabric
- The Scissors I use for fusible Applique
- Aurifil Floss in single spools and small thread boxes.
- My Book on Fusible Applique & Heat n Bond
- Get the GREAT Storage Containers I'm using in Aqua, Clear or Pink!
- My Favorite Design Boards.
- And my Favorite Red Thread boxes They come in other colors TOO!
- Ask for Aurifil at your favorite quilt shop or you can purchase HERE,or HERE which ships international
- and check the Flash sale!
This is SUPER EASY to enter all you have to do is make ONE BLOCK
ENTER BELOW no website needed, that is an OPTIONAL field